I used to work as a counselor and continue to help out pro bono among the walking wounded.
There’s been quite a lot of that, lately.
One group of obese people act like crack addicts, anticipating what’s for dessert.
Others drink & drug themselves into near oblivion.
Still others are sick at heart, missing work.
You can’t open the paper, lately, without finding an article relating stress to various illnesses — many of them fatal.
What to do?
- Go for a walk. Regular, rhythmic exercise works wonders.
- Talk to a trusted friend. For most of us, most of the time, this works as well as actual time on the couch.
- Laugh. It does a body good. Seriously.
- Listen to soothing music.
- Spend time in prayer and meditation, even if you don’t believe.*
- Have sex; see #1.
*Especially if you don’t believe.